Mamma Returns

One explanation I have heard for a dog’s overzealous greetings when their masters return from time away is that the absence was interpreted as a death. I believe that theory was based on an interpretation of wolf pack behavior. When a wolf disappeared from the pack, it was generally due to death. The survivors don’t expect to ever see that missing member again.

If that missing wolf does reappear, it’s a miracle! No wonder they would get excited.

As far as Delilah was concerned last night, the mamma who has doted on her for most of her life returned from the dead.

I was careful not to utter the highly recognizable sound of “mamma” to our dog until I saw Cyndie’s car coming up the driveway. I made that mistake one other time when Cyndie wasn’t going to be home for days and Delilah walked over toward the door to the garage and stared at it for so long I began to feel awful.

There was a blur of spinning and some squeaky sounds and a whole lotta love.

“She’s alive!”

My resourceful wife beat me to the punch and ordered her own favorite Gina Maria’s pizza on her drive home from the airport, and since it wasn’t ready when she arrived, took advantage of that time to go grocery shopping.

Gone for over a month, and she walks in the door with dinner and groceries.

Sheltering at home just got a lot less lonely for me.

Welcome home, Cyndie. Welcome home.

April 16, 2020 at 6:00 am

Posted in Chronicle

Tagged with , , , , ,

1. Ohhh…what a happy homecoming!! Wow…a month…it must have seemed like an eternity! Glad to know Cyndie is home safe and that your little family is reunited. There’s something about “absence makes the heart grow fonder!” And, John, I hope you at least equaled Delilah’s enthusiasm!! 😉
    Stay safe…be well!

lorriebowden

April 21, 2020 at 6:39 pm

• It was a long time. Now I’m benefitting from her self-imposed 14-day quarantine at home to assure she didn’t pick up anything in her travels. She is cooking up a storm! I’m doing my best to shower her with appreciation, but I’ll never do full justice for all that she provides.

April 21, 2020 at 7:14 pm

2. Yay! It makes me happy to know you are together again, safe and sound. ♥️

Liz Shatek

April 17, 2020 at 9:42 pm

3. YAY!! Cyndie’s face also shows how happy she is to be home! Love to you all!

Sara Friswold

April 16, 2020 at 10:41 am

• Thanks for your love! There was a LOT of happy. And maybe a little decompressing…

April 16, 2020 at 11:29 am

4. Miss you Guys.

George Walker

April 16, 2020 at 6:53 am

• The feeling is mutual! Pining for the good ol’ days and dinners together followed by CrossCrib! And dessert!!

April 16, 2020 at 11:28 am