Defend Democracy

For the record, lest there be any confusion over where *This* John W. Hays stands on the issue of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress by the 45th President of the United States, I believe the facts presented and the behaviors of the accused in every moment since the issues of the July 25th phone call arose are obvious and self-evident by ordinary human reasoning.

The one glaring aspect that I fail to grasp is how, out of the 198 people in the House of Representatives and the 53 people in the Senate who align with the Republican party, none of them seem able to voice the slightest conviction toward holding the President accountable to any degree that comes close to matching the seriousness of his actions.

It doesn’t make sense to me.

I wish there was a more universal urgency by ALL elected officials to defend our democracy against any threat to the integrity of our elections.

It saddens me to see our national reputation being tarnished across the world. My intuition tells me that foreign nations most hostile to our country are giddy with delight over the instability being sewn into our political process by nefarious characters who seem to be getting away with things despite the world knowing full well something is going on.

What a shame that efforts to be positive and filled with hope are daily burdened by the negative weight of all this ugliness.

I look forward to the resolution of the current proceedings and cling to hope that intelligent, decent people will uphold their oaths to defend our constitution, regardless of their party affiliations.

1. Ha, ha: that is exactly what Trump says he is doing and being very forth-right about it. If not impeached, he is all set to win the next so called ‘democratic’ election. The power elites, via the media, industrial base and military, know how to get what they want with some new modern tweets – C. W. Mills explained the process years ago… The Richis – the product of the oldest civilisatiion of the world – told us to look inward and not get taken in by destructive forces. Certainly, at the moment, I can’t come up with anything better, given the UK election result:-) That said, the Scots have done everything possible to extract themselves from the process, but it is unlikely, ‘democratically’ speaking to be enough. I wish I had better news!

December 18, 2019 at 11:14 am

• Shared commiseration is commiseration halved?

December 18, 2019 at 11:42 am

• Anyway, we will work at planting a better future:-)

December 18, 2019 at 11:44 am

• Agreed! I’ll just need to wait a few months for our ground to thaw before resuming expansion of our forest…

December 18, 2019 at 11:47 am

• The truth is that my recent reponse to events was to plant some more camellias despite and in the heavy rain – you may remember they can live hundreds of years. Anyway, as I was working, I was thinking and motivated by you and your love of trees and all that you continue to share with us. So know your energy and devotion does not go misplaced but rather is a source of great inspiration. Thank you, John!

December 18, 2019 at 11:55 am

• That is very rewarding to know. Thank YOU, Ian!

December 18, 2019 at 12:04 pm

2. It is sad, indeed. And even worse when you see the hypocrisy of some long time leaders change their public statements on impeachment from Clinton to now. They should all be removed if they aren’t going to take the oath of office seriously. It should be country first for all of them, but it appears not to be the case. I think this is just the kind of power and corruption our founding fathers feared. I am not giving up though. We live in a great country, and I am still committed to it. Time for RADA: Restore American Democracy Again!

frisshop

December 18, 2019 at 8:10 am

• A pretty good country, anyway. I’m with you on not giving up. Hope springs eternal!

December 18, 2019 at 10:04 am