Contrast Comparison

Let’s review.

Last week, polar vortex:

A few days ago, February thaw:

Yesterday morning, the commute to the cities was an ice adventure. On one of the close-to-home country roads, my tires lost grip and the Crosstrek started to float at a bit of a sideways angle. At the wee hours of morning, there were no other cars around, otherwise, that slide could have been a head-on collision disaster, as I encroached into the oncoming lane.

After a short distance, the tires re-gripped and the car violently responded with a sudden jolt of physics reality, returning without trouble to rolling straight forward, aligned in the proper lane of travel.

I adjusted my speed accordingly for the rest of the commute.

The residual trepidation that gripped me after that brief adventure in free flight was the possibility, or probability, of someone driving toward me losing traction like I had and then floating uncontrollably into my lane. Luckily, there were only a few cars that approached while I was on two-lane roads. After that, it was all divided highway.

I witnessed no crashes driving in the 5 o’clock hour, but my nerves were further rattled by a radio report that 4 salting trucks had slid into ditches in the county just north of our home.

I carefully pulled my car into the parking spot at work and breathed a sigh of relief. When I stepped out onto the glazed pavement, I was startled over how slippery it actually was. I couldn’t walk up the tiniest incline of sidewalk to the front door. I needed to “penguin” my way over to some snow and walk on that.

A coworker had the best solution for all this crazy winter weather we’ve been facing lately. Humans should be genetically engineered to hibernate during winter.

This is how I am able to recognize I am truly aging. That idea actually sounds appealing to me.

I suppose in a few more years, I will start talking about moving south over the winter months.

It’s enough to make my 20-year-old self roll over in his hypothetical grave. There are days I miss that guy.

I gotta admit, though, the sight of my 60-year milestone approaching on the horizon has me leaning more toward liking the looks of that future snow-bird guy a bit more than the young winter athlete of years gone by.

February 5, 2019 at 7:00 am

1. Ha, ha: I guess we stop battling against the odds but work with what we have, the opportunities that make the most sense: there is lots of bliss and bounty down that road and, just, maybe, we come out ahead as stuarts of the Garden of Eden. I like to think that way:-) At times it comes stunningly back at us. Today, here in Portugal, the world looks perfect and incredibly inviting. Who needs yoga when you are zapped into that!

February 5, 2019 at 10:22 am

• Mmmm. I am wrapping myself in visions of a walk among the pines, eucalyptus, and cork trees, to the spring garden, (did that olive tree survive?) back up under the fig tree at the end of the shade house, up through the grape vines, and back to the camellia gardens, whispering love toward the horses as I pass them, whether in their stalls or down in the field beside the river.

February 5, 2019 at 10:32 am

• Olive trees are quite amazing – think that there are still such trees alive from the time of Jesus as someone even named Oliveira now living in Israel but coming from Russia reminded me on a visit. Strange that he made a reference to Jesus as a point in time, but true, too, that the olive tree was a symbol of peace and prosperity long before him. In short, the olive tree is still with us:-)

February 5, 2019 at 10:47 am

• Inspiring! In fact, moments ago, I texted Cyndie to say that I want to plan a return trip to visit you. That’s how inspiring you and the Forest Garden Estate are. Here’s hoping we can find a way to make this possible.

February 5, 2019 at 10:52 am

• That would be something else: remember that Carlos said that he would restore the house in ruins with the incredible view of the valley and river below were you ever to return – he is a man of his word. Suffice to say you bring out the best and inspire us to greater things.

February 5, 2019 at 11:06 am

• Carlos is a treasure, and one of my highlights (of oh so many) from our visit. Interesting, that you and he have inspired and brought out the best in us to accomplish all that we have in the years since!

February 5, 2019 at 11:13 am