Cheery Morning

Neither Cyndie nor I are naturally fond of waking and getting out of bed in the morning. It tends to occur begrudgingly. I don’t view the occasion as being the opposite of not waking up at all, but rather of lingering in snoozeville and remaining snuggled beneath the warmth of our blankets and pillows. A much-preferred alternative.

Alas, pets demand and deserve timely attention first thing in the morning and Delilah must go out and the chickens want out of their coop for some breakfast.

This morning, against our everlasting preference, we both triumphed over the angst of getting up and entered into cheery histrionics while clumsily dressing and narrating and orating our comical foibles. I’ll just say, I’m not the one who has mistakenly ended up with bottoms on backward or inside out. I can’t claim that virtuosity with tops, however.

It was a beautiful day outside, reasonably mild in the hours preceding an expected bout of ice and snow on the way.

The chickens were all in fine form and very talkative while emerging from the coop to greet the day.

No sign whatsoever of sharing our hesitancy about greeting the day.

They continue to mature and are showing signs of dialing in the art of egg-laying. We received a 1-in-1000 double yolk the other day. By the looks of the size of the shell, that appeared to be an uncomfortable object to pass for a new layer.

Made for a doubly-delicious bullseye breakfast, however!

January 30, 2021 at 11:00 am

1. Hi John! This brings me back to my childhood. I loved the chickens…and though I did not like to eat eggs back then, I would love to try them now! I remember how my father used to exclaim over how good they were.
    Sending lots of good energy to you and Cyndie…and all the animal friends at the farm!

lorriebowden

January 31, 2021 at 11:26 am

• Thank you, Lorrie! We find our free range eggs are incredibly good. Surprisingly better than industrial produced eggs in every way.
      Soaking up your well wishes and reflecting them back with interest! Love!

January 31, 2021 at 3:07 pm

• Love how that works, John…the interest part 😉 Have a great week!

lorriebowden

January 31, 2021 at 5:56 pm

2. I am trying to figure out how you are cooking that double egg, John. It looks like you are preparing to cook it on top of a piece of bread? I love fried egg sandwiches; is this how you prepare them?

wtbell

January 30, 2021 at 2:34 pm

3. Actually, I thought the world was characterised by double yokes, but I guess, I wasn’t looking at delicious eggs at the time:-)

January 30, 2021 at 11:11 am

• Hah! You caused me to check if I had posted a mis-spelling. Well-played, sir.

January 30, 2021 at 11:24 am