Gettin’ Green

With a little rearranging in the garage, I moved the ATV and snowplow to the back and brought the lawn tractor to the front. It’s a definitive sign of the change of season. I also got the back yard mowed, which brought out a whole lot of green in our landscape.

Probably in large part, because it chewed up the leaves from last fall that were still covering the bulk of the back hill, because we never got around to raking them before the snow arrived.

From there, we headed down to the labyrinth, where Cyndie pulled weeds and I reassembled the fallen blocks around our compost and wood chip locations.

Now, we need to replenish the wood chips, and there are plenty of branches waiting to be chipped. A short distance to the right from the view in that photo, there was a collection of branches from two years ago, when we hired professionals to trim dead wood from our trees.

It was a big reward to finally start pulling the debris out, because every time I have passed those trees since the day it was cut, I’ve wanted to have the job done.

I probably got through about half of what needs to be pulled out and stacked for processing, but it’s a good start.

I look forward to transforming that pile of branches into a filled wood chip station, which Cyndie can then use to dress up the landscape around her labyrinth plants.

May 6, 2019 at 6:00 am

1. Today, I came across the Galaxy Garden Net and thought of you (http://www.galaxygarden.net/). I hope it inspires you to work on your labyrinth. It is a gardener’s dream to oneness… no small legacy.

May 7, 2019 at 4:16 am

• Nice. Creating art with growing plants is quite an endeavor. Perennials expand regardless the walking path intended.
      At least my stones don’t expand. They just topple over.

May 7, 2019 at 6:49 am

• Actually, some of your stone balancing arrangements are still standing here after how many years!

May 8, 2019 at 3:12 am

• That’s great to hear! Inspiring!

May 8, 2019 at 11:05 am

2. I guess I have always thought of the maze as a process of transformation. It is not a trap but a means…

May 6, 2019 at 8:56 am

3. Re: labyrinth:

Whatever else your labyrinth is one of your most interesting points of departure. It almost seems to mirror the human mind. Traditionally, it is green and full of hope.

May 6, 2019 at 7:08 am

• Sorry for double posting: I posted once and got the message that I was double posting and my comment was void: I cut the link to Bowie and the first one appeared. Talk about Big Brother…

May 6, 2019 at 7:11 am

• It gives me control to edit, so I cleaned it up for you. That Bowie movie is about the Labyrinth as a maze intended to confuse and trap (although I’ve never seen it), while Cyndie’s version is NOT a maze, but a circuitous path with no dead ends. From Labyrinthsociety.org: “A labyrinth is a meandering path, often unicursal, with a singular path leading to a center. Labyrinths are an ancient archetype dating back 4,000 years or more, used symbolically, as a walking meditation, choreographed dance, or site of rituals and ceremony, among other things. Labyrinths are tools for personal, psychological and spiritual transformation, also thought to enhance right-brain activity. Labyrinths evoke metaphor, sacred geometry, spiritual pilgrimage, religious practice, mindfulness, environmental art, and community building.”
        I’ve always found it interesting that there are two versions: One like ours, for transformation, and the confusing maze version with hedge walls for trapping the Minotaur, malevolent trolls, or harsh winds in hope of ensuring safe fishing.

May 6, 2019 at 7:39 am