All Day

Two all day things: It snowed all day yesterday and we shoveled all day. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!

On Wednesday night, we noticed all the school districts in our vicinity were announcing they would be closed on Thursday, so I decided that was a pretty good clue that I shouldn’t try driving to the day-job. As a result, I am going in today, in a swap of days for my 4-day work week.

Sitting at my desk today will be a welcome relief from the strenuous exercise of shoveling for hours on end.

I took a little break to see what the horses thought of all these flying flakes. Cyndie caught a picture of Dezirea and me giving each other the eye. I think the horses were growing weary of the long duration of snowfall.

Cayenne was sporting some cute curls in her long wet winter growth.

I got out the snowshoes to walk Delilah on our trails through the woods. She was so fired up to be out in the deep snow that she wanted to run, but I couldn’t keep up with her at that pace. I felt bad slowing her down.

The chickens showed no interest in leaving the coop. I snowshoed all around the coop to pack down the snow for whenever they decide to come out again. It’s probably going to be too cold for them today, but eventually, they will get tired of being cooped up (literally!) and venture out into the world again.

We have one Buff Orpington that doesn’t seem to be her normal self. We think she may have scrapped with that possum and be suffering some ill effects as a result. Cyndie couldn’t see any obvious physical wounds, so we have decided to just keep her comfortable and see if time heals whatever might be bothering her.

Today, I’m hoping to not do any shoveling all day. I’m expecting to be confused by this disruption of my normal routine, commuting and being at work on a Friday.

I expect it’s going to make my weekend seem unusually short, but my body will appreciate today’s break in the manual labor of property management chores.

February 8, 2019 at 7:00 am

1. Re ‘chores’, I guess I have been challenging that conceptualisation every since I got to know you – if anything stopped you from being able to participate in the bounty of being a helpful part of the moment, you’d soon change your tune and understand what a blessing you are fortunate enough to orchestrate. There are no ‘chores’ only ‘callings’ – callings that I know call you and make you who you are. Where would we be without them!

February 8, 2019 at 9:19 am

• It’s all in a word. I don’t think “chores” carries the same negative connotation for me as it does you, although I admit to using the negative to garner sympathy all too often. 🙂
      We both know in our hearts, the value of our participation in enhancing and caring for the natural world in which we are so lucky to be surrounded.

February 8, 2019 at 9:44 am

• “I admit to using the negative to garner sympathy all too often” – I wonder why: seen for what it is, you actions are so much more inspiring. You battle the odds and, for the most part, come out smiling and very much more alive. And yes, when you look back, you can see what a difference you make and garner ‘appreciation’.

February 8, 2019 at 11:44 am

• Good point! I suspect this tendency is a relic of a previous pattern of dysfunctional thinking from my depressed days. You give me renewed incentive to leave that old thought process behind! Internal reframing shall commence from here on!

February 8, 2019 at 11:55 am

2. Love the photo with Dezirea!

Mary

February 8, 2019 at 8:14 am

• All it took was Cyndie’s brilliant timing with my silly antics. And a little luck, and a lot of snow…

February 8, 2019 at 8:26 am