Just Thinking

I tried thinking and thinking but no thinks ever came to me. Where did they go? I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter, because with an absence of thinks, comes a propensity to not care. At least, I don’t think I care, if that’s what it’s like to not think any thinks.

What I mean is, I don’t care that I can’t think of any stories to write.

The other day I found myself telling Cyndie that I felt an urge to be preparing for a new expedition. Obviously, life with animals and 20 acres is its own expedition, but I think I was longing to escape to some other remote adventure.

I would not be surprised if this were a way I am manifesting my grief. Escape.

Conveniently, today I have an opportunity to begin planning for one of my favorite annual adventures. Today, registration opens for the Tour of Minnesota biking and camping week. My adventure awaits.

It is not lost on me that one of the things that I love the most about the Tour of Minnesota is that I don’t need to do much thinking throughout the week. The route is determined and mapped in advance for us, the camping locations are established, the meals are set.

I just show up to ride my bike, and go with the flow.

No critical thinking required.

I think I can manage that.

February 1, 2018 at 7:00 am

1. And idle mind is the devils workshop. Winter is by far the worst season, especially for thinkers alike.
    Keep your mind busy in positivity any way you can while we impatiently wait for spring.

bluegrl13

February 7, 2018 at 8:05 pm

• …cultivating the positive. Thank you!

February 7, 2018 at 9:59 pm

• And should you chance to have an idle mind – often part of whistling a happy tune – it is the ideal state to be with horses. For we not only whistle our concerns away but also those of the horses. Sometimes, that is all they need to recover their health. They thrive on balance and harmonious surroundings and we, as human care takers, are a big added part of that. And, of course, the secret of equine therapy is that this is a two way process. Indeed, I have witnessed that horses, very much like humans, can eat neurotically, being unaware that the cause of this behaviour has disappeared. They just need to be eased gently away from it – back to positive thinking and ‘seeing’ the desired outcome.

February 8, 2018 at 8:31 am

• YES! Yes, yes, yes. Thank you, Ian.
        I sense Cyndie is contemplating this method of guiding Hunter to a better solution to his insulin issues. I’m all for it. Things have thrown us out of balance lately, and I long to get us back to that place of harmonious surroundings.
        Thank you for this boost of inspiration toward that end.

February 8, 2018 at 8:38 am

2. Yes, and you are always enriched and revitalised by the experience, having the stories to keep you alive and well in the difficult winter months.

February 2, 2018 at 3:56 am

• This is timely encouragement, as we are definitely in the grasp of difficult winter months right now. I’m looking forward to being enriched and revitalised!

February 2, 2018 at 8:01 am