Back Live

IMG_3950eI am back with live posts today —not pre-written and scheduled— having successfully survived and returned from the most challenging of bike camping adventures that I have ever done. We made plenty of jokes about planning a bicycle trip in a region that has been selected as a good place to have a wind turbine farm.

The challenge of riding daily into unrelenting gale-force headwinds was compounded by the addition of a surprising wave-after-wave of severe thunderstorms, drenching this region that was previously enduring a drought. The unprecedented amount of rain in that short time seriously flooded farm fields, creating flash floods that over-ran banks, flooded homes and washed out roads.

IMG_3927eFor some reason that I don’t understand, I had the unfortunate luck of adding to the misery by getting sick with a sore throat, stuffy head, and congested lungs. I don’t know if it was just a bad coincidence of timing or whether the weather conditions and close proximity to a large group of people happened to be the trigger.

Last week was one tough vacation. At the same time, it was as fun as ever. I hope to tell you more about it in the days ahead. Right now I am faced with the burden of deciding if I can go back to bed to repair my ailing health or get after the mowing and manure management chores that are in dire need of attention.

The same storms that dominated our bike week moved across the state and soaked Wintervale Ranch. We’ve got additional trees tipped over that I will need to cut up and move, just to get to the manure pile.

The bed is looking more and more enticing as my current preferred option.

1. Days off you call them – but you are looking good, John!

June 22, 2014 at 7:50 am

• Thank you, Ian. Re: “Days off” It’s all in how you look at it, isn’t it? I have a LOT to do here at home now, but it seems like I am now enjoying days off from the challenges of that bike trip.

June 22, 2014 at 10:18 am

• I bet! Wish Luis and I could be there to give you a hand. Maybe, we should make that happen one day. It would be fun.

June 23, 2014 at 6:50 am

• Oh my. That would be more than fun! It would be a dream come true for me.

June 23, 2014 at 1:30 pm

2. Great post John. I look forward to reading the upcoming posts. Good luck getting the trees cleared. Bob

Bob Lincoln 952-215-5056 Tour of Minnesota Ride Director, LCI http://www.tourofminnesota.com

drumminglibrarian

June 21, 2014 at 5:35 pm

• Thanks. Clearing the trees was the first real accomplishment of the day. The chainsaw made quick work of the task.

June 21, 2014 at 10:00 pm

3. Welcome home. I enjoyed following the trip from my home. Sorry that I missed all the fun stuff, but feeling ok about missing the WIND, and rain. Hope you feel better soon. How did Cyndie and Wintervale critters survive your absence?

Mary

June 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

• Thanks. Seems like they survived okay to me. Cyndie says she and they are glad to have me back. I think the horses want me to get after the paddock cleaning, but I did mowing first.

June 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm